Mailing Address Change

If you would like to change the address that your electricity bill is mailed to, you will need to fill out a Change of Address form. Once you have completed this information, you can submit to our Customer Service department.

You can submit your completed form using one of the following options:

Please allow 5 business days for the account change to be updated.

Should you have any questions, please contact our Customer Services department at 519-743-3600.