Stay safe during an outage

Stay safe during an outage

When the power goes out, these tips can help keep you safe until we get power restored. Check our outage map for current updates and restoration times. 

  • Avoid injury or fire. Turn off any electronics and appliances that were on before the power went out, such as stoves, food processors, blenders, and electric heaters/fire places.
  • If you need light, use flashlights, LED lights or lamps, or smartphone flashlights instead of candles. If you must use a candle, never leave it burning unattended. 
  • Downed power lines do not spark and dance like in the movies. Always assume a downed power line is live. If you see one, keep people and pets at least 10 metres away - the length of a full-sized school bus - and call 9-1-1.
  • Never try to move downed power lines or remove tree limbs caught in overhead wires. Call 9-1-1 to report the problem.
  • If your power is out and you're getting cold, use blankets, sweaters or coats to keep warm. Do not use charcoal, propane or gas barbeques, camping heating equipment or home generator indoors. They give off carbon monoxide, which can be deadly. 

Learn more about why the power goes out

Learn more about how we restore power