Moving from Kitchener or Wilmot

Are you moving out of the Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro service territory? You will need to order a final reading to close your account with us.

How to close your account

To close your account with us, you will need to contact our Customer Service department. You can use our new online form service to close your account or you can contact Customer Service directly. To close your account you will need to provide:

  • The address you are cancelling
  • If you own your property, your closing date
  • If renting, the final day on your lease agreement
  • Forwarding address to send your final bill
  • A minimum of three business days' notice to process the request

Letter of Reference

Should you need a letter of reference from us to avoid a security deposit with your new utility, please download the following form and return it to our Customer Service department:

Should you have any questions, please contact our Customer Services department at 519-743-3600.